Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 09:30:46 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comment on new categories?

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Going to an unbalanced tree will make maintaining ports much harder.
> If we are going to 3 levels, we should do it all at once.  There are
> 35 categories now, ranging from humongous (japanese: 163, games: 159,
> x11: 138) to tiny (german: 5, biology: 6).
>
> But nobody is complaining about "japanese" or "games".  The problem
> with "x11" is that it's abused by ports that really don't belong here.

 But still, they should have sub-categories themselves, like the main
/usr/ports, right ?

 OK, I understand we can't do this too soon, but could we please put it on
the TODO list ? Don't forget that the no. of ports will increase with the
time, and this will bloat these top-level categories; breaking them in
sub-categories might be a good choice, don't you think ?

> The only reason why I'm terse is because "x11-windowmanagers" or
> "filemanagers" will change the output of "ls /usr/ports" on a
> 80-character xterm from 3 columns to 5 columns.  Going up and down the
> tree, that's fairly significant.
>
> But may be right, maybe we shouldn't be too terse for the sake of
> developers.  What do others think?

 I think if we change the style for these x-11* categories then we
should/must change the style for the rest of the top-level categories too!
 It won't look good to have net/comms/devel/... combined with
"x11-windowmanagers" , "x11-filemanagers", etc. Like the precedent case,
we should change the naming style for all of them and not just some of
them...

> Satoshi

PS: Could someone (Asami ?) have a look at PR #7373 and commit ? thanks...

 Just my $0.02
 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)