Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:00:12 -0400
From:      "Pathiakis, Paul" <Paul.Pathiakis@ironmountain.com>
To:        "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Jim Riggs <ports@christianserving.org>, Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer@exit2shell.com>, David N <davidn04@gmail.com>
Subject:   RE: Port Request: gluster

Hi Timur,

Here's the synopsis:

Gluster talks through the FUSE filesystem to a tcp socket (default 6996) =
to other machines.  If you think of the OSI model, it goes down the =
stack on one machine and up the corresponding stack on the other.  In =
other words, it hits the tcp port (6996) on the other machine and to =
FUSE. =20

Now, here's the fun part: if you have a directory /a/tmp as a filesystem =
on BOTH machines of EQUAL SIZE and you want to put something under =
gluster control.  You get gluster up and working on both sides.

I'll provide my file for example after this.  (I got help from the =
gluster people)

Start it with:  glustfsd -f <file>.vol --debug  on both machines.
(debug is to make sure everything is working.

Performing a df on both machines you should see:

/dev/ad0s1d  # # % /tmp/a
/dev/fuse0   # # % /mnt/a

This will show you that both machines are up and running.  In order for =
stuff to now be put under gluster control (it's a filesystem so it has =
to have extended attributes turned on), you have to cp the info from =
somewhere and put it into /mnt/a (tar, cp, etc) =20

In your debug screen, you'll see it go wild as it puts everything under =
glusterfs control.  On both machines, you'll see /mnt/a and /tmp/a get =
populated simultaneously.

Pretty darn slick.  Also, ORDER of the layers is important.  My file, =
afr.vol is:

volume posix
       type storage/posix
       option directory /a/tmp
end-volume

volume brick
       type features/locks
       subvolumes posix
end-volume
=20

volume server
       type protocol/server
       option transport-type tcp
       subvolumes brick
       option auth.addr.brick.allow *
end-volume

volume machine01
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp
       option remote-host 10.1.1.1
       option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume machine02
       type protocol/client
       option transport-type tcp
       option remote-host 10.1.1.2
       option remote-subvolume brick end-volume

volume home
       type cluster/afr
       option read-subvolume `hostname`
       subvolumes machine01 machine02

Paul Pathiakis
UNIX/Linux Systems Engineer
Iron Mountain Digital
120 Turnpike Rd.
Southborough, MA 01772
=20
=20
Microsoft - Where do you want to go today?
Linux - Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD - Will you guys come on already?
=20