Date:      Thu, 11 Aug 2005 12:44:06 -0700
From:      Venkata Pingali <pingali@ISI.EDU>
To:        Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>, Marko Zec <zec@icir.org>, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Subject:   Re: Stack virtualization
References:  <1123040973.95445.TMDA@seddon.ca> <200508091104.06572.zec@icir.org>	<42F8A487.67183CA6@freebsd.org> <200508091737.32391.zec@icir.org>	<42F8D8ED.11A196FC@freebsd.org>	<20050809211537.GX45385@obiwan.tataz.chchile.org>	<42F9E1FB.3ECF023E@freebsd.org>	<20050810144407.F97974@vesihiisi.cksoft.de>	<42F9F9BF.879994D2@freebsd.org>	<20050810151547.X97974@vesihiisi.cksoft.de>	<20050810134523.GK45385@obiwan.tataz.chchile.org> <20050810154817.A97974@vesihiisi.cksoft.de>

Christian Kratzer wrote:

> Hi,

>>> Yes I can imagine Interface groups coming in handy in firewall setups.
>>> You will propably not be able to provide clean semantics for INADDR_ANY
>>> with anything but a dedicated virtual stack.
>>>
>>> A full network stack per jail provides the same semantics as in an
>>> environment without jails and all the security of clean separation.
>>> A little overhead for security is something I am very willing to pay ;)
>>

>> Both approach will require the ability to prevent jailed processes to
>> do certain actions on their virtual interface/stack, such as adding a
>> new IP address, because it has a noticable impact on the real network.
>>
>> I think this could be the job of the MAC framework (although I must
>> admit that I never played with this), but I'm a little bit scared about
>> the administrative overhead this would introduce for managing jails.
>

> yes a jail with its own ip stack could mess up a network as much as a
> separate machine on the same network could today.

> Virtual network stacks would primarily bring clean separation and
> consistent semantics to jails for cases where we require multiple
> IPv4, IPv6 ips and other protocols.  This would be a good thing.

We have a demonstration of that.

We have been using the stacks to create complete and multiple
virtual networks over the same set of hosts. We could do this
with minimal effort.

Standard applications including ping and traceroute work
unmodified just like how they would do in the regular
network.

This could not be possible without support for appropriate
host and router RFCs i.e., without each stack emulating a
complete internet host.

Stacks have to do more with isolation and abstraction.
They provide the context for other network operations
including binding, forwarding, lookup, firewalling
etc.

The question then becomes whether one feels that it
is necessary to support complete virtual hosts or not.