Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:39:17 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        Howard <howard@shoppersnet.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NexGen CPUs

At 4:59 PM 3/18/96, Howard wrote:

>Well, I have done some testing with Nexgen PF CPUs and FreeBSD, and they
>are fully compatible with FreeBSD 2.1R.  Maybe someone should add this to
>the FAQ and the welcome.html page at www.freebsd.org.

Actually it *is* in some FreeBSD doc somewhere, I've seen it but don't
remember where. I would be nice if somebody would take the "ID kit" posted
and www.nexgen.com and tweak the kernel's ID code so that it at least says
"NexGen" rather than plain old 386.

I've been running a NexGen PCI-90, no FPU, for 5 or 6 months now. No
problems but I keep hearing of Adaptec 2940 problems with 2.1R, and I have
a 2940.

My system is a PCI-90 w/ 16M of parity fast page DRAM, unlabled ATI Mach-32
2M PCI video card, el-cheapo NE2000, STB 4-com, and a Sony ATAPI CDROM.
Adaptec 2940, Seagate 2G Barracuda, Tandberg TDC-3660 tape.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison