Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:25:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), kris@citusc.usc.edu, des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Safe string formatting in the kernel

> >> I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing :-)
> >>
> >> The main trouble is bad syscall API design:  All strings should be
> >> passed by pointer+length, rather than asciiz sematics.
> >
> >DEFINITELY.
> >
> >This would let you do the allocation based on peeking at the
> >size prior to copying the whole string in.  Count prefix strings
> >are one thing the C language has been missing for years.
>
> ...unfortunately, just like many other good things, we can't
> easily change the API of things like open(2)...

Why not?  The open(2) call is a library stub anyway; I'm strongly
of the opinion that POSIX semantics are a near useless subset of
the desirable semantics, and map a tiny amount of the problem
space.  They probably deserve to be in libc, rather than fossilized
into the system call interface.  For example, the idea of a
synchronous system call is really an asynchronous call plus an
aiowait on the call status structure... it would sure make it a
hell of a lot easier to implement a threads library.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.