Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 1995 22:41:24 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xfig and transfig

> Ok, then there should be some other place to list "maximal functionality"
> dependencies.

Yes, perhaps we should have a
	BELLS_AND_WHISTLES_HINTS +=
capability,
as well as the existing
	EXEC_DEPENDS +=
Satoshi's the guy to convince on that.

> But from the point of view of a user
> who just wants stuff to work, there should at least have been some warning
> when I pkg_install'd xfig that I needed transfig as well to get the full
> functionality.

Well, in fact, it all comes down to whoever writes the individual ports
Makefiles, if they chooses to specify things to sniff &probe for.
I suggest you provide a diff -c patch for the Makefile, & send it to the
MAINTAINER= person listed in the xfig Makefile.

But please do it as an
.if ! exists
	echo Suggest you install foobar,

rather than a EXEC_DEPENDS