Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:02:40 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running 8 building 10 gives "Out of file descriptors" ?

On Tue, 2014-11-18 at 12:08 -0800, Dieter BSD wrote:
> amd64 running 8.2
> Attempting to update to 10.1
> Need to build custom 10.1 kernel on machine running 8.2.
> Installed binaries and src off to the side.
> Attempts to compile kernel directly failed.
> Attempts to build 10.1 "make" as 8.2 binary failed.
> Chroot to 10.1 tree.
> Attempt to build kernel (using stock GENERIC config file and stock sources
> for now) failed:

[...]
> Out of file descriptors
> *** Error code 2

I'm circling all the way back to the beginning on this problem.  I was
looking into whether we could easily fix /bin/sh or whether we should
just warn that you can't bootstrap from systems earlier than 8.4.

What I discovered along the way is that /bin/sh isn't a build tool and
thus isn't a blocker to bootstrapping from 8.2.  That is, the build
system doesn't first build a newer sh, then use it for the rest of the
build.  You created the /bin/sh problem by running a 10.1 world in a
chroot on an 8.2 kernel.  I overlooked that fact when I first read this.

So the real question would be why you failed to build a 10.1 kernel on
an 8.2 machine, and there is no detail in your original report about how
or why that happened.

-- Ian