Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 13:22:01 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        Matthew Cashdollar <mattc@rfcnet.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: commercial software

drifter@stratos.net wrote:

> On Fri, 15 May 1998 08:32:38 CDT, Matthew Cashdollar wrote:
> > [ I (drifter@stratos.nospam.net) wrote: ]
> >>      Of course, Bill Gates is no Henry Ford. (And don't tell me computers
> >> give you more freedom than automobiles... I happened to be old-fashioned
> >> in this regard.)
> >
> >I certainly hope Bill Gates is no Henry Ford.  Henry Ford was a supporter of
> >Nazism!  He kept a picture of Adolf Hitler on his desk and sent Hitler a
> >birthday card every year!!
> >
> >(I'm not joking..)
>
>         Oh, boy.  Looks like Godwin's Law is being invoked. (The one that
> says that within three days of any post to USENET, the likelihood
> of comparisons to Nazis will approach 1...

	Actually that's the corrolary. :) The actual Godwin rule is that the
first person to invoke a comparison to nazi's loses the argument by
definition. This was one of my favorite parts of the "old" usenet
because judicious use of the Godwin rule could drive the particularly
lame flamers into a frenzy due to their carefully written analogies to
nazi germany being completely ignored. :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet