Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:59:18 -0400
From:      "lam_andy" <lam_andy@LNMTA.bentley.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation

Hi,

You can probably tell that I'm a newbie with the BSD OS. I am trying to
install BSD on my laptop where I already have win2k pro on it. I am hoping to
use the boot manager to enable me to select which os to use when I boot up. I
have attempted to follow the steps in the FreeBSD book 3rd Ed but I cant get
it to work.

I did the installation by doing the cd-rom boot. Partition for BSD was
created, the status was set to active and bootable( "CA"), partition type 3,
subtype 165.

Inside the BSD partition, I used the auto Default for all.
I set / for 20MB UFS Y
/var for 50MB UFS Y
/usr for "the rest of the space" UFS Y
also a SWAP is there

I installed the boot manager.

I selected the x-user installations and it did say it completed, but when i
select all the distributions, it says installation completed but with errors.

When I boot up my laptop the boot manager does come up and allow me to select
the OS. When I choose BSD, i get the error "NO / KERNAL" (boot: -v).

Any ideas what I did wrong during installation?

Thanks,

~Andy