Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:12:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Rob Zietlow <Zietlow@berbee.com>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lowlevel format

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Rob Zietlow wrote:

> Anyone familar with a utility that will perform a low level format on a hard
> disk before an install?  I believe that I am having issues with my hard disk
> and I would like to give this a try. 5 times I have installed and gotten 5
> different sefaults when I try to run make buildworld, but install make
> buildworld works fine on another spare computer around the house, so I am
> pretty sure it isn't anything with cvsup.

A HDD low level format will almost surely not make your segfaults go away
- in fact, I bet everything I own on that ;-) Your problem, so the
segfaults are most likely caused by a hardware flaw. These little memory
modules are always the first things to blame when this happens. So, I
suggest that you take the RAM modules out of the machine that has the
problems and put some other ones in there. If make buildworld works now,
you can be sure that your RAM was causing the problem. The only thing
remaining to be found out is which of your modules to throw in the trash
can. In order to find that out, you'd be best off by simply swapping,
piece by piece, your RAM modules. In the end you should see that you only
get the problem when a certain module is in your machine.

Other causes for segfaults during make buildworld could be overclocking,
or problems with other hardware components. The hard disk should, however,
not be the cause, and a low level format would definately not change
anything.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org