Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 07:45:55 -0700
From:      "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question on FreeBsd

What is you CDROM interface? IDE, SCSI or propreitory Panasonic, Sony or
Mitsumi? I believe the propreitory interface are not supported any more, but
hopefully someone will correct this if I am wrong.

If you have a IDE drive correctly setup in your kernel the you should see
output similar to :

su-2.04# more /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0

And your kernal config file should include the atapicd :

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
#options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

If however, you have a propreitory CDROM drive, then I am unable to help :(
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kulraj Gurm