Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:54:35 -0600
From:      "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Partitioning Suggestions

I was wondering if anyone has any insights for a good partitioning scheme
for a multipurpose WWW, Mail and Database server.

I'm a little usure about the sizing of /usr and /var, and if there is an
advantage of creating additional partitions from the ones recommended in the
handbook.

I don't want find myself running out of space in any of the partitions, and
I don't want to create a symbolic link hell.

Would it be a good idea to make a large /var and put WWW, DB, Mail, FTP etc
in there and leave /usr for binarys, ports, configuration etc?

Here is how I plan to partion my 18GB drive:

/ 	= 100MB
SWAP	= 1GB (what if you have 4GB of RAM? 8GB of swap is insane)
/usr	= 2GB
/var	= 13GB  - Data, WWW, Logs, FTP and Mail go here

This way I can move /var to additional drives/RAID as storage requirements
increase.

Any comments in terms of performance and future growth considerations?

Thanks