Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:37:55 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsd.org>
To:        Bei Guan <gbtju85@gmail.com>
Cc:        soc-status <soc-status@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?utf-8?Q?Re=3A_Mentor_of_the_Project_=22PCI_frontend_XEN_PV_dri?= =?utf-8?Q?ver=22=EF=BC=9F?=

On Apr 12, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Bei Guan <gbtju85@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.=20
>=20
> I think it's also a good project for me to write a SCSI or USB PV =
frontend for FreeBSD. I'm interest in Xen and have done some development =
about Xen PV and HVM, but I didn't do any development on FreeBSD. As to =
this project, where should I start? Is there any other similar FreeBSD =
project I can refer to?

Front-end drivers for network, block, and control already exist and =
should serve as a good starting point for the creation of another PV =
driver.

I've also updated the ideas page to include more information about our =
existing XEN implementation and what will be required for these =
projects.

> In order to write a SCSI or USB PV driver, do we need the Xen PV =
drivers in FreeBSD, such as event channel, hypercalls, xenbus, and so =
on?

Yes, FreeBSD already has support for all XenBus APIs needed to write =
these drivers.  See "sys/xen" and "sys/dev/xen" in the FreeBSD kernel =
source tree.

> You said the "drivers can be developed using an HVM guest", can you =
give me more information about it?

Typically, you install FreeBSD using standard install media as a full =
HVM guest on a system running Xen.  Then compile a custom kernel using =
the XENHVM config file in order to activate the existing PV drivers.

--
Justin