Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 00:20:31 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concern over ftp.freebsd.org

[Trim, trim, trim  *hum* ]

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 12:20:29AM +0200, a little birdie told me
that Brad Knowles remarked
> At 9:45 PM +0000 5/3/01, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> >  As someone who uses FreeBSD in a business context, and has off
> >  and on since 1993, it is alarming to go out and try to grab a
> >  distribution, only to find out that it's not where you expected
> >  it to be.
>
> 	Surely it's on the mirrors, yes?
>
> >  It's also extremely alarming to find out that the official
> >  mirrors have mirrored the disappearance.
>
> 	Really?  This is the first I had heard of this.  Could you elaborate?

As a matter of fact, this has hit me.
CVSup isn't on what is now referred to as 'ftp.freebsd.org'.  To install
it from ports, I had to fiddle around and discover that it DOES exist on
ftp2, and frob the Makefile.  pkg_add would have likely required me to
find and download the package file manually, or frob some arguments to it
that I can never quite manage to understand.

In this case, part of the problem was that CVSup's 'master site' is a
subtree of the pub/FreeBSD tree in general, and partly because the only
'backup' is the distfiles/ repository (which, BTW, doesn't seem to exist
with any consistency on that which is now referred to as
ftp.freebsd.org).

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com