Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:19:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iain@research.canon.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: US checking accounts for non-US residents

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Yes, my bank recently upped the account maintenance fee to $2000, that
> > is just wrong.
>
> Hmm.  I think you mean:
>
> s/account maintenance fee/minimum balance/
> s/my bank/ANZ/
>
> Agreed, that pisses me off too.

Yes, right on all three counts. I don't have a problem maintaining $2k,
but I can imagine many people who are far worse off than me having
trouble. Two years ago when I was a student (I almost wrote stupid
again, I'm getting good at that little slip :-) I doubt that I had my
balance above $2k for more than a couple of months (and that was only
after vacation employment).

> > We have basically 5 banks in Australia, and a number of other smaller
> > groups who provide banking services (some of them are credit unions,
> > others are overseas banks). Generally the big 4 (+1) tend to have the
> > highest fees.
>
> And they're rising all the time.

And nobody seems to be trying to do anything about it.

> >> Anyway, the reason I object to this fee is that it is unfair and
> >> ridiculous. When you deposit money in a bank, the bank takes your
> >> money, invests it, and makes more money from it. They have a lot
> >> of nerve to charge you a fee for depositing less than $500 (or any
> >> amount).
> >
> > I think the one I find the hardest to comprehend is the service fees. If
> > I make more than 6 electronic (ie Internet, phone, EFTPOS, ATM)
> > transactions a month, I get charge $1.50 per excess transaction.
> >
> > I only get 2 over the counter transactions as well. Not that I need
> > them.
>
> Hmm.  I'm beginning to wonder if this is ANZ after all.  I hope not.

It is.

> > It's funny really, the banks make barely anything out of personal
> > banking, yet charge the highest fees. It looks as if they are
> > forcing the individual business units to make the highest profits,
> > rather than perhaps spreading things out across the entire business.
>
> A while back in Germany I was left with the distinct impression that
> the commercial banks were no longer interested in individual
> accounts.  Maybe the same thing is happening in Australia.

I suspect so. I'm just surprised that it is soo high. I honestly think
that if it costs them $1.50 for every extra transaction, then there is
something seriously wrong with their transaction system.

Iain