Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 15:34:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: 3 terabytes on one server? (was Re: more than 32 scsi disks on a single machine ?)

> On Mon, 13 May 1996, Joe Greco wrote:
> >
> > Be thankful our newfs is _fast_...  :-)  the one in Slowaris is
> > slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww...
>
>     Even Sun rates their fsck at "10 minutes per gigabyte"... that
> would mean a 3-hour fsck on my news server with Solaris.  :-/  OTOH,
> they have ODS 3.0 with journalled file systems which pretty much
> eliminates boot up delays caused by inconsistent filesystems.

They also have PrestoServe, which doesn't incur an additional speed penalty
on news filesystems... :-)

I'm not overly impressed with the SCSI I/O on a Sun.  It "feels" slow.

> > There is definitely an advantage in parallelism within your
> > filesystems.  It is an impressive sight to see news.sol.net first fsck
> > /, /usr, and then /var, and then watch a dozen drives suddenly chime
> > in with a massively parallel fsck  :-)
>
>     Waitaminute.... does it do this by default?  It takes 10 minutes
> to fsck the news server filesystems, and I'm pretty sure it only does
> one drive at a time.  It would be great if multiple fsck's could run
> in parallel.  Maybe my /etc/fstab isn't setup correctly?
>
> /dev/sd0a       /                               ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0s1e     /usr                            ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd0s1f     /var                            ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd1s1e     /usr/local                      ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd2s1e     /var/spool/news                 ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd3s1e     /var/spool/news/alt             ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd4s1e     /var/spool/news/alt/binaries    ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd5s1e     /var/spool/news/over.db         ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd6s1e     /var/spool/news/comp            ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd6s1f     /var/spool/news/soc             ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd7s1e     /var/spool/news/misc            ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd7s1f     /var/spool/news/rec             ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd8s1e     /var/spool/news/out.going       ufs     rw 1 1
> /dev/sd8s1f     /var/spool/uucp                 ufs     rw 1 1
>
> /dev/sd0s1b     none                            swap    sw 0 0
> /dev/sd2s1b     none                            swap    sw 0 0
>
> proc            /proc                           procfs  rw 0 0

Uh, buddy, RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)  :-)  :-)

hummin# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sd0a                       /               ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s1e                     /usr            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd0s1b                     none            swap    sw 0 0
/dev/sd1s1e                     /var            ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd1s1f                     /var/spool      ufs     rw 1 1
/dev/sd2s1e                     /usr/local      ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd12s1e                    /nfs            ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd13s1e                    /nov            ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd10s1e                    /nov/.0         ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd22s1e                    /news           ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd14s1e                    /news/.0        ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd15s1e                    /news/.1        ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd11s1e                    /news/.2        ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd21s1e                    /news/.3        ufs     rw 1 2
/dev/sd20s1e                    /news/.4        ufs     rw 1 2
proc                            /proc           procfs  rw 0 0

I will leave the difference to the reader to find.

Note this doesn't include my ccd partition which I set up and fsck
separately because I was too lazy to go and integrate it.

It's almost fun to watch it fsck, except the fact you have to fsck implies
you crashed, which _isn't_ fun.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968