Date:      Thu, 12 May 2011 17:46:05 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS: How to enable cache and logs.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:
>>>
>>> The large write feature of the ZIL is a reason why we should
>>> appreciate modern NFS's large-write capability and avoid anchient NFS.
>>>
>> The size of a write for the new FreeBSD NFS server is limited to
>> MAX_BSIZE. It is currently 64K, but I would like to see it much larger.
>> I am going to try increasing MAX_BSIZE soon, to see what happens.
>
> Zfs would certainly appreciate 128K since that is its default block size.

Note:  the "default block size" is a max block size, not an "every
block written is this size" setting.  A ZFS filesystem will use any
power-of-2 size under the block size setting for that filesystem.

Only zvols have an "every block written will be this size" setting.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com