Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:19:19 -0500
From:      Kelly Hendrix <kelly@compuage.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD drive not detected at startup

Greetings

At startup, my dvd drive is not recognized and I get the error
ata0-slave:  identify retries exceeded.  This is on a Dell Inspiron
8000.  The result of uname -a is :

FreeBSD mobile.kellyhendrix.com 4.3-BETA FreeBSD 4.3-BETA#2:  Wed Mar 14
14:25:46 EST 2001
root@mobile.kellyhendrix.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/mobile i386

I did manage to boot and install 4.2-RELEASE from that drive, but I
can't remember whether or not after the install if it was detected.
(Guess I was in too much of a hurry to get X and sound up and working)
According to windows the drive is a LG DVD-ROM DRN8080B.  Just wondering
if anyone could give me any insight into this problem.  In my kernel
config, I've tried both the ata and ata0 and ata1 entries with the same
results.  I've also commented and uncommented both ATA_STATIC_ID and
ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA options and rebuilt the kernel.  There is also an
atapicd device entry.  Just wondering if anyone could give me any
insight on how to fix this problem.
TIA

Kelly