Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:05:56 -0500
From:      "Bradley Dunn" <dunn@harborcom.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

On  7 Jul 96 at 16:50, Michael Smith wrote:

> Troy Arie Cobb stands accused of saying:
> >
> > All questions/issues of bandwidth aside, the real issue
> > as I see it w/ cable networking is that it is BROADCAST
> > ethernet.  That is, every one in your cable-division (i.e.
> > all of those houses connected to the same switch
> > as you are) will get the same packets.  Drop a wee little
>
> This is dubious.  Ive seen no indication one way or another, but I'd
> imagine that you'd have to sniff the cable side of the box, not the
> inhouse side to see anything.

What box, the cable "modem"? All diagrams of this technology I have
seen have the modem in the house, connected via ethernet to the
computer. In this case I do not think sniffing the cable side would
be too difficult for the technically inclined. Of course it would be
significantly more difficult if this box were buried outside or on a
utility pole. The point is a valid one, though, I think. Cable was
engineered from the start to be a broadcast media. AFAIK, there is no
concept of a local loop with cable. The signal is just broadcast over
the wires, with repeaters installed where necessary. Of course, I
could be wrong, I'm not a cable guy. :)

Bradley Dunn <dunn@harborcom.net>
Harbor Communications