Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:48:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@wurzelausix.cs.uni-sb.de>
To:        karl@mcs.net, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS corruption

> Mount with the "-2" switch (NFSv2) and see if the problem disappears.
>
> We saw this one, and John Dyson is aware of it.  It has NOT been fixed,
> however, at least as of this time.
>
> It is access-pattern dependant - 99% of the patterns you can come up with
> will not break.  However, "make world" will, and so will trying to do things
> like modifying the mail system to write user mailboxes to their home
> directores.
>
> This was a BITCH to track down far enough to guess that mounting with NFSv2
> would have an effect.
Hmm, I thought I also tried mounting NFSv2 but this didn't help.
But I just tried another test: I modified mkdep, that it didn't create (or
expand) the .depend file on the NFS mounted disk. Instead it first copied
the .depend file to /tmp, did the additions and then copied it back.
With this hack I was able to "make world" up to just one additional error:
I wasn't able to build termcap (cap_mkdb died with sig 11). I also had to
create the db file on the local disk and then copied it back.

I did several "make World" of XFree86-3.3.2 without any problems.

I have the feeling that the NFS code has some problems appending to a file
(O_APPEND), since only the .depend files are corrupted.

Daniel