Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:44:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gpib driver - does anybody use it?

Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
 > Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> writes:
 > > Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
 > > > I stumbled upon the (undocumented) gpib driver today [...]
 > > Actually, John Galbraith <john@ece.arizona.edu> has written
 > > a better driver for the National Instrument GPIB cards.  Search
 > > the hardware mailing list for a URL to his latest driver.  It
 > > is reported to be superior to the driver in src/sys.
 >
 > Then why haven't we imported it yet? send-pr that baby and drop me a
 > note, and I'll look into it.

The last version I posted can be found at www.ece.arizona.edu:/~john.
I have been using it quite extensively for the last few months on a
2.2.6 machine.  Mostly it has been small transfers, so I haven't been
using it at heavy load.  It appears to be quite stable under those
conditions.

I have tested it on another 3.0 machine, but I haven't been using it
for real work.

I made some extensive changes in order to support catching SRQ's using
the poll() mechanism.  I almost have it, but there was one thing that
I couldn't get to work, so I haven't posted it yet.  The version on
the web page is the one I am actually using, along with a bunch of
documentation.

John

--
John Galbraith              	  email: john@ece.arizona.edu
University of Arizona, 		  home phone: (520) 327-6074

"As had been true historically, Gates' concern was not making great
 products, but keeping the world locked into using his products."
    --- Wendy Goldman Rohm, The Microsoft File