Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:24:35 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Gunnar Isaksson <sm5iuf@telia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD filesystem limitations

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 10:24:57AM +0200, Gunnar Isaksson wrote:
> I have no memory of any filesize limitation on
> FreeBSD and would like to know if there is anything
> similar to the Linux 2GB limit?

Okay, after posting my last response, I found this interesting tidbit of
information from http://www3.au.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html:

The maximum theoretical filesystem size limitation is 2 gigablocks.
Thus, with the default block size of 8K, this is 16TB. With a 4K block
size (this is the smallest possible, I think) this works out to 8TB. In
practice, there is a soft limit (I'm not sure what this means) of  1TB,
although modifications can yield 4TB filesystems, which do exist.

The maximum file size on an FFS filesystem is approximately 1
gigablocks, or half the maximum filesystem size. With the smallest
possible block size (4K), this means you have 4TB files, and with a
default 8K block size, you can get 8TB files.

I wonder how long it takes to dd one of those from /dev/urandom.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx