Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:17:32 +1000
From:      Joe Shevland <J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Richard Levenberg <richard_levenberg@securecomputing.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I help with the JDK2 port?

Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Richard Levenberg wrote:
>
> > Joe,
> >
> > I appreciated your comments and was surprised at Nate William's reply. I
> > gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that I had missed
> > something on the website (http://www.freebsd.org/java). I went back to
> > look for something like an anonymous CVS, or something that I could just
> > look at and decide for myself whether I was capable and had the time. I
> > still havent found anything.
>
> You guys are offering to do something that is not needed, and are
> complaining because, when you offer to do 1% of the work, everyone
> doesn't shower you with roses.

Thats just plain wrong and I won't bother with it beyond this reply. I
wasn't complaining about anything apart from the abruptness of the
response. I've downloaded the sources and had a look at them; having
said that I'm willing to swallow my pride and say that it looks way too
intense for me and my knowledge of the FBSD compiling, linking, whatever
else is involved.

> The porting's a lot of REAL work, and the guys who know how to do it are
> all currently kinda tied up.  It's not here now, and taking pot shots at
> Nate, who actually HAS provided code, comes ill from a bunch of folks
> who haven't provided anything at all.

Get off your high horse.

Apologies if any offense was taken Nate; none intended just pointing out
how that comment appeared from my point of view. Email can be hard to
glean exactly the nuances of what someone is trying to say. If my
comment was out-of-line, I apologise. And I'll qualify that by saying I
have found Nate's/FreeBSD's JDK of immense importance in my development
environment and for client projects; I can't express my gratitude enough
on this point.

> You haven't even bothered to check out the Sun web site, and if you deny
> it, then how come you didn't know about Sun making the source code
> available?  It's on their web site, they didn't hide it.  You want the
> code, go get it.

As I said, I've ftp'ed it and had a look at it. You've started the
letter with 'you guys' and I'll assume you've continued with this in
mind.

> I get a little hot at folks getting shirty about not treating their
> offers as if they were real work.  Read this list a little, and you'll
> see offers come all the time, but real work doesn't.  If you want folks
> to take you seriously, don't offer things, show stuff you've already
> done.  God knows there's enough things to do.

I think there's a lot of people out there that want to help; that much
is clear. What I believe is needed is the management of this process and
will justify that by saying 'many hands make light work'. I agree you
often hear of people willing to help, and often don't see any real work
out of it (I've been guilty of this myself as you've said).

> Good intentions are not good deeds.

But can become them by someone taking responsibility for organisation of
tasks etc. You've said above 'God knows there's enough things to do'. I
think as a conclusion, the people that offer to help with the work, want
to know what these 'things' are. Once you've got a really good
understanding of the issues surrounding this, you can go off and do your
own thing and come out with offerings of 'real work'. IMHO,
collaboration and information dissemination is what is needed, not an
argument.

Regards,
Joe

 ,-._|\  | Joe Shevland
/      \ | Principal Consultant
\_,--._/ | Turnaround Solutions Pty. Ltd.
      v  | http://www.TurnAround.com.au