Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:53:55 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        tyler spivey <tspivey8@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd from source?

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 07:57:35PM -0600, tyler spivey wrote:
> well, i come from a linux from scratch (lfs) background,
> where i install the base and everything else from source. i'm wondering if it is possible
> to install the base system of freebsd from my custom burned 4.4 cds,
> but compile the ports i need from source instead of using the ports system? i'm not comfortable with it yet, and
> if i install, say, someport, i don't know what it's trying to do,
> so i can't see if it's doing somethingi don't want it to.

You might have mixed up two things:
- packages, which are binary distributions (just like the Debian
  and Red Hat way of living)

- ports, which only have in it where you can find it, what dependencies
  it has and how to make it. The compiling itself happens on your
  own system.

If you think that ports are too sophisticated, you can always extract
the tarball, run configure, make and make install yourself. And
might run into small problems like missing (or different) headerfiles,
installing in /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin, wrong directories
et al.

For example if you look at /usr/ports/shells/bash2/files, the file
patch-ac shows you a small but interesting change in the configure-script,
patch-doc_bash.1 a FreeBSD-specific change in the man-page etc.

So if you want to install binary stuff, use packages. If you want
to install from source, use ports.

For what it is worth, I've submitted several ports and use the ports
for all the software I install. Even software I make for other
people (and which is not in the FreeBSD ports-collection) I still
make it as a port-style.  It's the easy of installing/uninstalling.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: