Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:15:22 -0500
From:      Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:41:47PM -0700, Charles Burns wrote:
> I have a CD professor who has a masters in CS and EET from a top 50=20
> university yet is enveloped in the Microsoft way of life. While this isn'=
t=20
> necessarily a bad thing, he is indirectly advocating Windows over Unix fo=
r=20
> all tasks based on knowledge from the Unix of years ago. Alot has changed!
> Showing him that Unix (BSD/Linux, etc) make a great server is easy, but=
=20
> Unix is now a great desktop platform as well. This is what I need help=20
> with. I have written several advocacy messages myself, but they are=20
> typically targeted to people setting up servers.

FreeBSd would make a decent Desktop OS, but Windows will never be=20
totally replaced.

>=20
> I would like to make some specific arguments that will show him that Unix=
=20
> is worth giving a try, and if he doesn't like it, fine, his choice. He is=
=20
> willing to read what I have to say about it and listen to me as a peer, a=
nd=20
> considering his position as the head of the CS department, this could=20
> benefit FreeBSD and Unix in general (if you are interested in that sort o=
f=20
> thing).

I have been useing FreeBSD side by side with Windows to create
a stable working enviroment.  FreeBSD is the file server, and=20
windows is the pretty front end.
=20
> This person has the following additude:
>=20
> - Microsoft has money, therefore can buy the best programmers, therefore=
=20
> has the best products.

Very true, but Un*x has the dedicated programers.

>=20
> - Microsoft is very successful, therefore has the best products (though h=
e=20
> is not using the popularity alone as an argument as he does have extensiv=
e=20
> knowledge of logic)

Well look at it this way, how many everyday people are willing to=20
sit down and learn how to do simple taskes in Un*x, or what we call
simple tasks. =20
=20
> - OSS programmers could not possibly be as good as Microsoft programmers,=
=20
> because Microsoft sponsors such things as nat'l programming competitions=
=20
> and hires the winners/hires the best of class from top universities, etc.=
 I=20
> need specific reasons and hopefully links (not to slashdot, to reputable=
=20
> neutral news sites and such). OSS has Greenman, DeRaadt, Torvalds, Hubbar=
d,=20
> Lehey, and others which are certainly among the top 100 programmers on=20
> earth. How to prove, though? I have pointed out that academics and contes=
t=20
> winners are different from people that naturally love to code, but he is =
in=20
> a commercial mindset. I have seen many great logical abstractions of this=
=20
> concept on various sites, but finding them would be impossible.
>=20

How do you prove it?? Have him look at this:

	1. What operating systems are at the top of netcraft.com's
	   longest uptimes? BSD/OS, FreeBSD, IRIX, and Linux.
	2. What OS does the backend of hotmail.com run on??

 - He is using examples of MS products being superior to other Windows=20
> products, examples in which he is right. Netscape 4.7* vs. IE4--No=20
> comparison. MS Office vs everything else--for it's intended audience, it=
=20
> really is the best. Media player, etc. He quoted Outlook Express, but bei=
ng=20
> in the field he uses Eudora because of OE's jaw-dropping security record.=
 I=20
> already made the Evolution comparison, but I really need more examples in=
=20
> which an OSS Unux product is superior.
> ----Note that I am not trying to convince him that Unix makes a better=20
> overall desktop, or that OSS software is necessarily the best, only that=
=20
> there are many great OSS apps-some of which are better than MS=20
> counterparts, and that he should give it a try. (he is busy and doesn't=
=20
> want to waste time on something that he is pretty sure will suck)

No OS will take over the desktop world from Windows.  Just=20
some OS's can become side by side.
=20
> - He says Unix is fragmented, therefore cannot have a unified vision and=
=20
> focus, and that this automatically makes it inferior to Windows which is=
=20
> under one company with theoretically one vision and focus.(to own=20
> everything :-)

Fragmented?? How so?
=20
>=20
> I have already made some arguments and given some examples, but I would=
=20
> greatly appreciate any compact and strong anecdotes, facts, quotes,=20
> examples, theories, logical proofs, rhetorical questions, etc. that apply=
.=20
> Please don't tell me that Windows really is a better desktop OS--whether =
it=20
> is or not isn't the point.

Take a look at the FreeBSD site, and see what you can find to help you.

=20
> Thanks ahead of time.
>=20
--=20
|------------------------------------|
| Bob Bomar                          |
| bulldog@fxp.org                    |
| http://fly.homeunix.org/~bob       |
|=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D|
| FreeBSD: The Power to Serve        |
| http://www.FreeBSD.org             |

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg