Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:53:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Networking w FreeBSD

I am just installing a new 2.2.1 system, but am having some problems with
the networking. The machine is to be a gateway connected to the Internet
via ppp and to a local ethernet network.

The first problem is that I have to manually insert a default route using
ppp's add command every time I connect. I have a "0 0 HISADDR" line in
ppp.linkup, but it does not seem to make any difference. When I type

ppp ON> add 0 0 203.63.80.130   <- being the addr of the router I dial into

I can reach the greater internet, but not the rest of the local ethernet.
(packets destioned for the ethernet now go out the ppp interface.)

I really need to use something like the HISADDR macro, because I dont
know exactly which router I will reach when I dial in.

I also thought that addresses on the local ethernet should not need a
route - that they would be visible and reachable automatically.