Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:47:58 -0800
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, dgy@rtd.com, hackers@freebsd.org, helbig@mx.ba-stuttgart.de
Subject:   Re: wd driver questions

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:08:27 +1030 (CST)
 Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

 > Aha.  One of the ideas I was toying with was having a 'standalone
 > shell' which would then load the kernel linker, which then would load
 > the kernel proper.  Then as long as the standalone shell understood
 > the objhect format the other standalone tools were built with, you
 > could swap kernel linkers to suit the flavour of the day.

...err, "kernel linker"??

I think what you really want is a 2-stage boot program, much like
Sun's... a primary bootstrap with the block numbers of the second-level
harcoded into it, the secondary has the file system, console, elf/a.out
goop, etc.

 > > I think this will be changing soon, however.  Now that the FSF has a sane
 > > way of saying "This ELF binary is for this OS", I've put the following on
 > > my NetBSD/hp300 TODO list:
 >
 > They do?  Do you have a reference for this method?

I was forwarded a message from Ian Taylor.. I'll see if I can't dig it up.
I'm told it will be in the next release of binutils.

 > > 	- make ELF work on NetBSD m68k
 >
 > Hmm, I have one of these things (as I guess you've noticed 8), so
 > naturally I'm interested in that too 8)

hehe :-)

 > > ...but it's not a priority right now... too many other things to do :-)
 >
 > Dang!

...well, it's right there around "write new Fujitsu SCSI driver"... :-)