Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 2002 23:03:13 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        tyler spivey <tspivey8@telus.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd from source?

At 7:57 PM -0600 6/1/02, tyler spivey wrote:
>I'm wondering if it is possible to install the base system
>of freebsd from my custom burned 4.4 cds, but compile the
>ports I need from source instead of using the ports system?
>
>I'm not comfortable with it yet, and if I install, say,
>someport, I don't know what it's trying to do, so I can't
>see if it's doing something I don't want it to.

There are two slightly different systems.  The "ports
collection" is a framework which lets you compile whatever
things you want to add to FreeBSD.  There are also "packages".
These are ports that someone else has compiled, and they have
made the binary-only package available for you to install.

If you want to look over everything before installing it,
you could go with the ports collection.  The ports collection
itself is just the information on how to compile all the
different programs which are in it.  You would have to
spend a little time learning "ports" if you really want
to feel comfortable with everything that it is doing,
however, you will have to duplicate a lot of work if you
ignore the ports collection and try to find and compile
all the pieces for whatever it is you want to build.