Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:46:28 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion: modules: ARCHS variable in makefiles

* Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> [021106 15:15] wrote:
> Gang,
>
> Johns sweep over the drivers to clean up some warnings triggered a
> thought in me. But enough about that, what about the following: :-)
>
> The way we define SUBDIR in src/sys/modules/Makefile has annoyed me
> enough that I'm willing to spend a not-completely-unlimited time
> to handle it roughly the same as we do for ports: The makefile for
> a module lists the architectures it's supposed to work on and is
> simply skipped if the current (target) architecture is not in the
> list. The top-level modules Makefile simply lists *all* modules,
> possibly adjusted by some unrelated knob (such as WANT_EXT2FS_MODULE
> or NO_IPFILTER).

This sounds interesting, how about a default rule though that without
the ARCH line the module will build on all arches, have an include
and exclude option.

#MODULE_ARCHES= ${ALL_ARCH}    # implicit.
MODULE_NOARCHS= alpha          # build on all but alpha.
MODULE_ARCHS= i386 alpha pc98  # only build on i386, alpha and pc98.

-Alfred