Date:      Wed, 08 Jun 2011 14:43:58 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sorry.  Numpty alert!  FreeBSD Jails...   Help?

--------------enig1B4D881FA45FBB1B926C802D

On 08/06/2011 13:53, Dave wrote:
> As Andy and Kaya pointed out, I was missing the Base sources.  As at so=
me=20
> point, while fighting with the sysinstall menu system, the Base selecti=
on=20
> got un-selected.

The best way to get along with sysinstall is not to use it.  Or use it
as little as possible.  Install a really minimal system, then reboot and
log into FreeBSD and do everything else from the system command line.

sysinstall is not a system administration tool, and attempting to use it
as such will lead to much needless suffering.

Now, you may be wondering exactly /how/ to do the stuff you want from
the command line.  The Handbook is a really very good reference for
that, or you can search the web or ask here.  Getting hold of the latest
system sources and compiling and installing FreeBSD from them is very
well covered, as are alternative binary-only methods for those who do
not want to spend time compiling.  (Mind you, if you hate running a
compiler, then FreeBSD is probably not for you: compile from source is
the 'succeed where all else fails' typical last resort solution to many
problems)

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20