Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 15:26:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      remy@boostworks.com
To:        paul@nerdlabs.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxp0: SCB timeout

On  7 May, Paul Dlug wrote:

>> The machine is an Intel SCB2 (SMP, ServerWorks HE-SL based) with a 64
>> Bits/66Mhz PCI NIC using a 21154BC transparent PCI bridge and two 82559
>> A0 revision chips.
>
> Thanks for all the info. It looks like this host is a 82555, I can't
> seem to get the PCI bridge revision out of dmesg. Searching around it
> looks like Intel has discontinued the 82555.

Look at pciconf -l output and the rev field. For example (from various
machines):

fxp0@pci2:12:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00018086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08

fxp2@pci0:3:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x34108086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x0d

fxp0@pci2:4:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x10f08086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x05

fxp0@pci0:12:0: class=0x020000 card=0x30008086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08

Card is the mounting (NIC, MB, etc...). The Intel driver have a fairly
complete list of models/makers.

rev=0x08 for a chip 0x12298086 is a 82559 stepping A0
rev=0x0d for the same chip is a 82550 Stepping C.
rev=0x05 is a 82558 B0 stepping.

As a rule of thumb, roughly 4 revs are reserved per chips:

0-3 : 82557
4-7 : 82558
8-11: 82559
12-..: 82550