Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:21:54 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Russell D. Murphy Jr." <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: application specific key mappings?

Russell D. Murphy Jr. <rdmurphy@vt.edu> types:
> Is there any way to re-map key combinations on a per application
> basis?  I use a commercial application for which I don't have source
> code.  I'd like to map familiar line editing key combinations to its
> line editing key combinations (i.e. I prefer emacs/tcsh style).  I'd
> like to do this under X; I can run this application in "console" mode
> under emacs and re-map to my heart's content.  Xmodmap seems to re-map
> for the whole session (all applications), which is not what I want.
>
> Any suggestions?

You didn't give us enough information to provide an accurate answer,
so all we can do is give suggestions.

If it's an X application, you might check to see if there are
resources that control what you want. That's the easiest method.

If you're running it in an xterm, you can remap the keys in the
xterm. If that screws up everything else, xterm has an option to
change the resource class from XTerm to something else, and you can
remap the keys for *that* resource class, then run your application in
an xterm started that way.

If you're *really* desperate, you could run it on an XNest server
(though I get better results with the vnc port), and use modmap on
that X session.

> ( Please cc me as I'm not currently on Questions-)

That's SOP for this forum.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.