Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:27:17 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I remove sendmail permanently

Rob B (rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au) wrote:

> Does anyone have any pointers on how to replace sendmail with Postfix ...
> for good?
>
> I have built and installed Postfix from ports, and run the make && make
> install && make replace scripts, but if I upgrade, won't sendmail get
> rebuilt and stomp over Postfix?

Hint: don't replace the sendmail binaries with postfix binaries, as
hinted in the Postfix README's. Use FreeBSD's mailwrapper!

If you do a `man mailer.conf`, this will explain FreeBSD's mailwrapper
system. For a Postfix installation, I alter /etc/mail/mailer.conf
to point to the "Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface" which
is normally installed in /usr/local/sbin/sendmail (rather than the
actual sendmail binary in /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail).

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com