Date:      Fri, 7 Nov 1997 23:09:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      cgull+usenet-878961828@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
Subject:   Re: hardware

Wes Peters writes:
 > Given what Mike has said (and I trust his opinions as much as anyone), I
 > may save myself some $$$ on the next computer purchase and look into
 > helping Mr. Hood with his IDE endeavors.  Most PC motherboards come with
 > dual IDE controllers on the board these days, because they're built
 > right into the chipset, and using them saves not only money but
 > complexity.
 >
 > Mr. Hood, what can I do to help?  Wanna Samsung drive?  ;^)

Yer all making a risky assumption that I'm a *Mr.* Hood.  My mother
was sometimes a Mrs. John Hood in a universe not too long ago or far
away. :-)

Well, it wouldn't hurt, especially since I don't have an Ultra DMA
drive yet, but the code should support Ultra DMA drives on systems
with the Intel PIIX4 controller (430TX and 440LX based systems).  And
even if your box isn't supported for UltraDMA, it should work in one
of the older DMA modes, which are actually sufficient for all current
drives.

  --john hood

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @