Date:      Sat, 01 Jun 2002 22:45:40 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Michael D. Harlan" <mike@harlanonline.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sending AT commands to modem from commandline ?

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:12:47 -0400  "Michael D. Harlan" wrote:
 +------------------
 | I have an external modem attached to COM2 (/dev/cuaa1).  Everything is in
 | good working order and I can connect to it using 'tip' to send it AT
 | commands.  My question is this: can I send AT commands to it from the
 | command line (or better yet, from a Perl script)?
 |
 | I tried this:
 | 	# echo "ATS0=1" > /dev/cuaa1
 +------------------

The command probably worked.  But the modem is probably configured
to return to preset config when it looses DTR from the computer.  You
might need something like an &W at the end of the string to write
the setting to nvram.  Your modems tech manual will have details
on this.

 +------------------
 | Any ideas?  Are there any programs that will take redirected output from
 | the command line?  Example:
 | 	# ./my_command < my_at_commands.txt

Tried anything like the following?

    # cat /dev/cuaa1 &