Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:19:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Arthur J. Constantine" <arthur.constantine@ccompute.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Novice, 2.1.5, 2940Ultra and SNAP disk, help

On Sun, 24 Nov 1996, Arthur J. Constantine wrote:

> I am trying to install freebsd 2.1.5 on my computer with the SNAP disk
> 2.2-961014 (due to 2940 Ultra disk controller).
> At Boot I get the following inconsistancy :
> Boot@0x10000: 640/65472k
> I have 128K of memory.

I *CERTAINLY* hope you meant to say 128 megabytes and not 128k.

The kernel only recognizes the first 64mb on the system by default, once
you get the system installed you can build a new kernel that will use the
full 128.

> After booting the Kernel I go into the visual editor and remove all the
> unwanted drivers leaving (fdc0,lpt0,sio0,sio1,sc0,all PCI, and piix0 an
> unknown device, which if removed causes a reboot).

I'm not familiar with piix0, but leave the PCI stuff alone.

> I then go into the OPTIONS editor and change the Release name from 2.2-
> 961014-SNAP to 2.1.5-RELEASE and set the Media type to CDROM.
> then chose the Novice setup and set the geometry to get the C=> Flags,
> choose BootMgr,and then Auto for the Disk label editor, then minimal
> dist. and having answered Yes carry on, it then does :
> newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rsd0 ..
> and then:
> extracting bin into / directory ...
> this get through to:
> "Saving any boot -c changes to new Kernel ..."
> at which point I get plastered across the screen
> "Fatal signal 11 caught!  I'm dead .."

This is usually indicitive of a few things:

1.  A software bug.  Try to be less aggressive about removing uninstalled
devices.  This is a SNAP after all, it's not perfect.  (You might consider
the 2.2-ALPHA instead of the SNAP, the ALPHA is newer and probably more
stable, relatively)

2.  Bad memory or processor cache.  Unlikely if it dies in the same place
every time.

> I have the following Hardware set-up :
>
> TMC Motherboard : Pentium 166, 128K EDO RAM, 512K cache.
>                                (tried 64K, 256K Cache)
> AHA - 2940 AU PCI SCSI Controller
> Soundblaster AWE PnP,(ISA)     (Tried removing this).
> Trident 9000 VGA card.(ISA)
> Harddrive Micropolis 1991AV 9.1 GB
> Dos installed on a 1GByte partition.

Looks OK.  The SB is just fine where it is, I have one and it works great.

Hope this helps, let us know where you get.