Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:25:47 +0100
From:      "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <mcs@post5.tele.dk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Subject:   Re: NetATalk, Stability, Viability

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Jason La wrote:
>
> > I have a LAN of Macs, and the file server is a blue G3
> > running MacOS 9.2.1 using AppleShareIP. It's pretty
> > unstable and we're having problems left and right. I would
> > like to replace it with A PC running FreeBSD.
> >
> > What I need to know is:
> > 1) How stable is NetATalk for FreeBSD?
>
> I use it in production, and find it works quite well.  This, however, is a
> debate everyday on the netatalk-devel list.

I have also had a Netatalk/FreeBSD fileserver running for a month with
no problems so far. Clients are MacOS 7.5 - 9.0.

> I maintain the FreeBSD port, and am active on the developers list.  If
> there are problems, we usually fix them.

I do have one problem - printing!

papd does not seem to like binary print jobs. And with a lot of
Quark/Photoshop users non-binary jobs are the minority.

If I try to send a binary job, the connection just times out. If I ftp
the binary PS file to the server and send it to the printer using lpr,
there are no problems. So the problem must be in either papd or between
papd and lpr.

Does anybody know where (in papd) the problem actually is?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen