Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 00:45:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers list FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>

Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, J Wunsch [and others!] wrote:
> > As Andrew Gordon wrote:
> >
> > > This is easy enough to fix, though it is not obvious which is the
> > > correct way. There are a number of possibilities:
> > >
> > 6)    Telnet to your JetDirect, and turn off banner pages.  That's
> >       how i always did it.

> Well, I have now tried the three printers that I can access remotely,
> and none of them support this (they support the telnet prompt for
> configuration, but banners are not one of the available options; I tried
> typing the suggested "banner:0" in case it was an undocumented feature,
> but that gave me an error).  These three machines are various different
> models of laserjet 4 (4M, 4M+ etc.), aged between 2 and 4 years old.
> Maybe there has been a firmware upgrade since; I certainly spent plenty
> of effort (including talking to HP support) trying to find a way to
> disable it at the time the first one was installed, but to no avail.

You're getting warmer.  A firmware upgrade is what you're looking for.  Go
to:

   http://hpcc923.external.hp.com/cposupport/indexes1/firmwars.html

This page has the firmware upgrade images, plus the HP Download Manager
tool that you use to actually install it.  Once you upgrade to the latest
firmware you'll find that the banner command (and some other new stuff) is
available.

It's not, however, quite so simple.  In order for this process to work,
you must have configured the SNMP-Set community string.  To do this, you
must create a tftp'able configuration file that contains at least this
setting.  Then, you must configure your bootp server (you _are_ using
bootp, right!?!) so that the entry for the printer has the vendor extended
option T144 set to the tftp path of the file.

As an example, my config file looks like this

# HP LJ config file
location: Young, Math/CS Dept., PC Lab
contact: Information Technology Services, x3803, its-help@enc.edu
# get-community-name: fooBar
set-community-name: fooBar
old-idle-mode: off
banner: 0
# telnet-disable: 1

Note, I have the get-community-name setting commented out.  This is
necessary because the Download Manager program allows you to specify the
set-community-name that it should use, but not the get-community-name.
Leaving its commented out as shown causes the printer to respond to any
and all SNMP get requests, which is the only way that I could get the
download process to happen.

Once you're done with the upgrade, you can, of course, set the get-string
to something specific.

Here's a snippet from my dhcpd.conf file (I use the ISC's dhcpd for dhcpd
_and_ bootp service) that shows the needed parameters to load the config
file:

host mtcslj4a.ac.enc.edu { hardware ethernet 08:00:09:77:1A:A8;
                next-server delta.enc.edu;
                option option-144 "hplj.cfg";
                fixed-address mtcslj4a.ac.enc.edu; }

This can be done just as easily with the "standard" bootp/bootptab.

You should know that the config file can contain a number of other
settings.  For somewhat useful docs on this (but without proper syntax),
see

	ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/support_doc/bpj02835.asc
and	ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/support_doc/bpj02836.asc

To see the true syntax of the config file options, download the HP
Jetadmin software package for HP-UX and look for the file
		*/examples/tftp.conf

	See also the file bootptab in the same dir.

It's pretty nifty stuff, though one shouldn't have to dig quite so
hard to find these details, and the HP engineer should have known that you
needed to upgrade your firmware.

Ah well...  :-)
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx