Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:37:46 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssl vulnerability, openssh trojan - will patches be incorporated in 4.6.1

I know that 4.6.1 was being created to address some of the vulnerabilities
announced at the time:

apache
openssh
bind libraries

At the risk of advocating feature creep ... what about the recent openssl
vulnerability?  I know 4.6.1 hasn't been released yet (RC2 last I looked),
but might it be worthwhile to include latest openssl patches in 4.6.1?  Or
will there be a 4.6.2 (or some other number)?

The reason I'm even asking is that the bind and openssl vulnerabilities
can't be fixed with a simple patch.  Any binary that is statically linked
to either libraries in these systems will need to be recompiled.  So we can
install 4.6.1 and be safe with the bind libraries (although I haven't heard
of an exploit) but still be vulnerable because of openssl (for which in the
security announcement, exploits have been seen).

Oscar