Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:28:16 -0700
From:      "Spuds" <spuds@allstream.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Some Simple Questions

Hello,

My name is Bryan and I am interested in using FreeBSD on my computer. =
Before I do so, I have a couple of questions I was wondering you could =
answer.
1) Is FreeBSD truly free, as in I don't have to pay for it and can =
download it at no charge or is FreeBSD just a name?

2) Is FreeBSD in any way affected by the SCO lawsuits against Linux =
distributors and commercial users, as I am aware that FreeBSD is based =
on Unix? I believe it is the fact that Linux may have Unix code, but I =
am not sure, as I have read many different opinions.

3) Is FreeBSD compatible with Linux software? I believe I read that =
somewhere.

4) Can FreeBSD run on a laptop that is hardware compatible, as I know =
some OS's cannot run on laptops but can on desktops?

Thank you for your time.

Bryan