Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 17:09:12 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux:/var/run/utmp

So I have a program here that needs to read the Linux /var/run/utmp
file (Platform's LSF software), but the problem is that Linux's
utmp format is not the same as FreeBSD's.  Linux format is closer
to SVR4.  So my question is what would be the best way to support
this app?

Here are my ideas so far:

1) write an app that stats /var/run/utmp and when it is changed,
	it updates /compat/linux/var/run/utmp with the correct
	information.

2) modify /usr/bin/login so that if it detects the Linux compatability
	module is loaded, write utmp entries to /var/run/utmp and
	/compat/linux/var/run/utmp.

- JimP

--
--- @(#) $Id: dot.signature,v 1.10 2001/05/17 23:38:49 Jim.Pirzyk Exp $