Date:      04 Dec 2002 21:17:05 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Evolution and LDAP problems.

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 22:14, Carl Makin wrote:
> Hi,
> I've upgraded to Evolution 1.2.0_2 and lost the ability to query our
> corporate LDAP server.
>
> In 1.08 it used to work fine although a bit slow however nothing is
> returned, and there are no errors shown when doing the query.
>
> I've run wombat manually and watched the queries fire with no response,
> and then fired the exact same query using ldapsearch and got back a
> valid response.
>
> Can anyone help me in the next step of working out what is going wrong
> here?  Or has anyone else got this working?
>
> FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE (Nov 6 cvsup), Gnome 1.4 cvsupped recently and
> Evolution 1.2.0_2.

I got LDAP working in Evo 1.2.0 sort of.  I had to upgrade and build
with -DWITH_LDAP.  Then, I did a killev.  After that, I configured Evo
to use my company's LDAP server on TCP 389 without TLS.  Then, I was
able to search in the Other Contacts entry for my LDAP server.  However,
when trying to search for an address from the Evo composer, it didn't
work.  The LDAP server returned an error trying to parse Evo's search
request.  I think there's a bug with this at Ximian.  Hope this helps.

Joe