Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 09:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        otterr@telocity.com, imp@village.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel making problems

On 28-May-00 John Daniels wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Warner Losh writes:
>>In message
>><Pine.BSF.4.21.0005272028160.26845-100000@schizo.cdsnet.net> Jaye
>>Mathisen writes:
>>: Wasn't there just a big to-do wrt to 4.0 (then -current), about the
>>: right way to do things is to install a new kernel, then build the
>>: world?
>>
>>Yes.  That was needed for a while since the new binaries produced
>>code the olkd kernel couldn't execute.
>
> I am no expert, and I haven't really followed this thread, but wasn't it
> recommended to:
>        make buildworld
>        make and install new kernel
>        make installworld
> when upgrading 3.4 to 4.0?

Well, you had to do a bit more than this do to the lack of an install-tools
target during the world process.  Once the install-tools portion is finished,
then, yes, this will always work, and it will work if you are already running
4.0 to get around this recent binutils change.

> Otherwise, (as per the handbook) the order is:
>
>        make buildworld
>        make installworld
>        update /etc and /dev (and optionally /stand)
>        make and install new kernel

This is fine as well.

> Also: FYI, www.freebsddiary.com shows an ordering that puts the /etc and
> /dev updates (via mergemaster) *AFTER* making and installing the kernel.
> (I'm not sure if that is correct procedure, or if it matters, but it differs
> from the handbook)

I don't think it matters, since until you reboot, you are still running the
old kernel, and you won't run the rc scripts until you reboot, for example.