Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:42:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
To:        Mike Kephart <mkephart@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reboot hangs and pccard change questions

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, Mike Kephart wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       I have two problems which have shown up after upgrading from
> 3.0-RELEASE to
> 3.1-STABLE (as of 2/3/99 at 18:00 CST).  The hardware being used here is
> Dell Latitude CPi laptop.
>
>      1. The "reboot" command now hangs - on this laptop this is
> especially
>       irritating since the power button is ineffective.  Halt still
works
> fine.
>       [ I swear I saw this same problem posted recently, but could not
find
>       it in the archives... ]

THAT WAS ME!  Yes, I have the same problem on the same laptop.  You might
want to send this stuff to freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG along with
freebsd-questions, that's for laptop stuff.

I'm going to take out apm from the kernel, then pccard stuff, and keep
reducing to see if I can find the problem.  BTW, has anything changed in
the reboot command that might cause a hang after rebooting...

>      2. I'm using the Xircom if_xe 1.14 beta pccard driver from Scott
> Mitchell.  Under
>       3.1-STABLE, the driver never gets initialized - the driver name
doesn't
>       show up in the "Initializing PC-CARD drivers:" message from
> pccard_configure().
>       I was guessing this may have something to do with the return value
from
>       the driver's probe() routine (if_xe always returns 0), but random
> attempts
>       at changing this value induced panics.
>
>       I'm hoping someone more familiar with the pccard code might have
some
>       suggestions.
>
>       Thanks,
>               \MikeK

Patrick Seal                        |"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make
<patseal@hyperhost.net>             |   really crappy operating systems."
Hyperhost - http://www.hyperhost.net| -Linus Torvalds
hosting and Design

http://www.freebsd.org - http://www.linux.org