Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:43:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jonathan@graehl.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd SITE MD5 and "really bad links"

In article <NCBBLOALCKKINBNNEDDLCEJGDMAA.jonathan@graehl.org> you write:

[BTW, what MTA generates such *evil* Message-IDs?]

>After downloading the file (with checksum-passing errors), I compute the MD5
>checksum of it.  I see that it does not match the SITE MD5 value,
[...]
>This pattern is standard; I do not understand why we need to argue
>it.

Anyone who does argue needs to go back and read ``End-to-End Arguments
in System Design'', the seminal paper by Jerry Saltzer, Dave Clark,
and David Reed which explains this in explicit detail.  (This happens
to be one of the fundamental design ideas underlying the Internet
protocol suite; Dave Clark was the Chief Protocol Architect for the
Internet during the period when the switch from ARPANET to Internet
was being made, and this article is one of the most cited in the
field.)  See
<http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf>.

-GAWollman