Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:16:45 -0700
From:      hooptie <hooptie@shazzam.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pulling my hair out!

I am having problems with both PPP and PPPD in FreeBSD 2.1.6, and am
totally lost.  I have researched the man pages, followed the tutorial on
www.freebsd.org/tutorial/ppp, been helped by people in #freebsd on IRC,
and even talked to tech-supt at cdrom.com to no avail.

For PPP:

I setup /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, ppp.linkup, ppp.secret, and /etc/resolv.conf
with the correct information.  I go into PPP, and start the term -- I
can log in fine, and the PPP session starts.  Netstat -rn returns that a
defaultroute HAS BEEN ADDED.  Unfortunately, no outside systems are
reachable, and I can't even ping localhost anymore.  Without PPP
running, pinging localhost works just fine.

For PPPD:

I setup /root/pap with my username and password, /etc/ppp/options for
the PPPD options, and /etc/ppp/connect for chat.  PPPD will dial and and
the modem will connect; however, I get the ambiguous error "cannot setup
a connection".  I've tried +ua to get it to login PAP, and get the same
error.  I have modified that chat file (/etc/ppp/connect) and tried
every possible login combination, and have yet to succeed.  To make
matters worse, -d and debug don't seem to work -- the only output to
/var/log/messages is "cannot setup a connection".

Now, after three headache-ridden days of utter frustration, I am nearly
bald.  Does anyone have ANY ideas what could possibly be going wrong??