Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:43:13 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        terry <tcooper1@telusplanet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New hard drive - Do I have to rebot?

terry wrote:

> Do I have to reboot or kill a process for my new hard drive to be activated
> once I've done the fstab, disk labeler and modified my /etc/fstab? I was
> able to move and copy onto disk two but it wasn't listed when I did a ls at
> root. I had to reboot. I also included 300 Meg's of new Swap. I added it for
> back up purpose.
>
> I successfully tested out the dump/restore procedure but I would like to
> find a script that does this. If someone knows of a blue print that would be
> great. I really need a start. I plan on using cron to do this every week.

Usually you don't have to reboot. You can activate new swap space using swapon(8),
but you have to tell all processes which shall write to the "new" disk to
reload there configuration and re-initialize the output. Maybe a `kill -HUP` is
enough, maybe you have to restart some of them.

If you have added the corresponding label to /etc/fstab, you mount(8) to activate
it or check which labels/disks are mounted.

Cheers,
Jens

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/