Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 06:59:01 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May 17th UP machine 'panic'

On Sun, 24 May 1998, Michael Hancock wrote:

> > The problem is in the vput in quotaoff for the group quota file
> > when doing a quotaoff on the user quota file.
> >
> > Basically, the locking semantics of vget/vput pairings have apparently
> > become assymetric?
>
> vget() is confusing, because the lock flag means don't lock when 0, but
> lock if LK_{lock flags} are passed.  vput() will always unlock.  But I
> don't think this is the problem.

Tor or Julian might have a patch for this soon.

Tor might have identified the problem.  vput() doesn't take a process
argument and always uses curproc.  I suggested splitting up the offending
vput() into vrele() and VOP_UNLOCK().

So I guess you are right, vput() is assymetric in that it doesn't take a
proc arg, but this would be too much work to fix.  I think separating the
call to vput() into calls to vrele() and VOP_UNLOCK() only in cases where
it's needed would be sufficient.

Regards,

Mike Hancock