Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP/5.0 performance on single CPU?

:| If none of the features are that useful to you, then by all means stick
:| with 4.7 or whatever we're up to when 5.0-release comes out.  I'm sure
:
:Well, I definitely plan to move to 5.x.  The question is when.  When it
:will be ready for general use, and when I will be able to learn all the
:new features I need to know about to use it.

    I think a good point for developers not already testing 5.x to move to
    5.x will be when the VM system, UFS64, and the new compiler are
    stabilized.  People are working on all three of these problem areas now
    so my guess is that if we go with a new syscall vector to handle 64 bit
    entity changes things will be nicely stabilized in a month.

    My only big worry is how we deal with the 64 bit entity changes for
    things like time_t... e.g. use a new syscall vector or shove it into
    the old one.

    It will probably be at least 5.1 or even 5.2 before 5.x is useable in
    a production environment.  My guess anyway.

						-Matt