Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:25:32 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such asNetBSD!!!

Louis LeBlanc writes:

> Neutrality is purely objective in this case (and many others).
> Uninformed neutrality can be highly inflammatory.  Beastie is only
> considered inflammatory to those uninformed fundamentalists who
> haven't been satisfied beating down every other freedom in this
> country and need someone or something else to pick on.

They are potential customers.  One of them is even President.

> I'm afraid I don't care for it.

It's just an example.

> The heart is a bit hokey, and, as already mentioned by Ted, if you
> ditch that and make an honest to goodness daemon tail, it'll stand
> half a chance to be adopted in some degree by the community.

If you put an obvious demon tail in the logo, some customers may object.
Others may say nothing but might be put off by the image.

> Those technical criteria were NOT drawn out in community fashion.

They don't have to be.  The technical criteria are imposed by the real
world of printing and display technologies.  These are the criteria that
must be met if you want to print and display with good results and at a
reasonable price.  It doesn't matter what the "community" thinks in this
case.

> That bit about not offending anyone is bullshit plain and simple.  I
> for one think this whole PC movement is bull.  Don't get me wrong, I'm
> all for peoples right to live their lives, but the PC movement should
> have died exactly two days after it started.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not likely to help the spread
of FreeBSD.

> Doesn't someone else own that font?

Typefaces are not protected in that way.  You can use any typeface you
want for anything.  The only protected aspects of typefaces are making
copies of the actual font files (which are considered software and are
protected by copyright), and using the _name_ of the typeface without
authorization (making another typeface and calling it the same thing).

The actual outlines themselves can be used in anything.

In order to prevent the potential problem of embedding fonts in the EPS
file, I converted them to outlines before saving the file.

> And this is still wrong.  As mentioned at least one million times on
> this very list in the years I've been here, it's NOT a devil.  It's a
> daemon.  Now the fundies have the FreeBSD community using the wrong
> word.

Nothing prevents you from designing your own logo and presenting it to
everyone else.  Then you can get it right.

> And for the record, those sneakers don't mean anything like a toy.
> They are for speed.

Fine, but are you prepared to explain that in detail to each and every
potential corporate user?

> If you can find something that is still historically significant,
> doesn't use text (as mentioned by Ted, text logos are BORING) ...

As I've said, logos don't have to be interesting, they just have to be
memorable.  Text logos are everywhere around us.

> I have only one reason to keep Beastie that has anything to do with
> the fact that I just plain like him.  And that's the reason.  I just
> plain like Beastie.  I have *lots* of reasons I think Beastie should
> stay that have nothing whatsoever to do with that fact.  I'm sure I'm
> not the only one.

Interesting.  I couldn't care less what the mascot or symbol of FreeBSD
might be.  The only thing that interests me is the software.  I use
quite a few software products that have really bad logos, I think (I'm
not sure because I don't look at the logos very much).

--
Anthony